Thursday, June 17, 2010

Enmasse

I'll start by finishing my day from yesterday:

So I eventually fell asleep, as did Ellen, and we emerged fresh and new to greet the (surprisingly) sunny London skies. We ventured out feeling spunky, so we decided to walk all the way to Piccadilly Circus, a decent walk. We traveled through all sorts of places, mostly very posh, upper class sections that had stores that I could never afford to shop in. We ended up in Piccadilly when I remembered that a restaurant called Wagamama was in the area. Wagamama is a delicious noodle house that serves all different kind of asian foods. We had to stop and ask like 10 times where it was but eventually we found it, and boy was it worth it. After eating, Ellen and I headed home on the train where we just hung around the empty flat by ourselves. At around 11 she and I started getting hungry again, so we traveled to the Tesco Express (a generic supermarket chain) where we got breakfast foods. We also stopped at this little Italian place which we now call Princess Diana Pizza because there are pictures of her everywhere, and her name is engraved on the steps outside. Finally arriving home, we each took a Benadryll and a melatonin and passed out. Hardcore.

The next morning I got up to pee and all of a sudden I heard voices from down the hall. Now Ellen and had discussed the night before that we thought that no one would show up till at least around noon, giving us free reign of the apartment. This was 9:30 in the morning and both she and I were very shocked to find that Jill, Ashleigh, and Tia had all arrived looking very happy to be home. Soon after them two more kids showed up. Well, we pretty much forced to accept that the flat was no longer ours at this point, giving us the incentive to get up and start getting dressed. Ellen and I had discussed seeing a matinee of Hair, so we convinced the girls to head into the city with us and check out the scene. The tickets were sold out, much to our dismay; we next decided to grab some lunch and walk back home. We took the most roundabout path home: down Regent Street to the Palace, around the Palace and then back up through Knightsbridge and then home in Kensington. Tired and sore, we were happy to relax for a little while, but when we got home we discovered that everyone else had finally arrived. So many people had shown up literally at the same time that it was fairly overwhelming, and I still have so many names to learn. At 6, everyone gathered in our flat for a meeting and to talk a walking tour of the facilities we're allowed to use. I'll touch more on those later. Food shopping, then dinner at Wagamama again (a different restaurant, but man it's so damn good) and a pint in a pub and now I'm home again.

I'm not rooming with Ryan; I'm rooming with a guy named Derek. He's an engineer/liberal arts major who is also in the ROTC. He's nice.

I should really be updating this at the end of the day, instead of in the middle. This was a super long post. I'll try to keep them more succinct, or at least not of multiple days. But we'll see, right?

4 comments:

  1. max elliot sopkin: i love that i can follow your adventures! enjoy a pint for you AND a point for me, promise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahaha re: your route home :-D man, i forgot how many of you are all there together. you're gonna wreak havoc. be nice to london, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel, our flats are on Hyde Park Gate, right off of Gloucester. We get to look right at the park.

    ReplyDelete